Texas Style Oven Baked Brisket–An American Recipe

If you have ever spent any amount of time in Texas, you would have realized that brisket is a staple.  We serve brisket at company barbeques, weddings, and family reunions.  We smother our baked potatoes with barbequed brisket, and every so often you can find us down at the local corner store buying a “small snack” of barbequed beef brisket sandwiches.

This year for the 4th of July, I decided it was time to cook a brisket for my family and friends here in Australia.

Boy was I surprised to find that no one knew what brisket was. Most thought it was corned beef.

No!  As lovely as corned beef is; it is not brisket.

If you are in Australia; go to your local butcher and ask for a brisket. {Mine told me to call by Monday morning to “order” the brisket. I was to pick it up after noon on Tuesday.  When I arrived, it was there.  Easy. – and yes, it is very reasonably priced.}

Here is what I did with my brisket.  (no photos, just a yummy recipe)

Mix ingredients below. {Use more or less depending on your tastes.}

  • 2 TBL salt
  • 1 TBL black pepper
  • 4 crushed garlic cloves
  • 2 crushed bay leaves
  • 2 TBL chili powder
  • 1 TBL onion powder
  • 1 TBL sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Rub into the brisket.  {Rub literally means, mix the dry ingredients and RUB them into the meat.}

  • 2.8 kilo brisket (whole brisket)

Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.  The next morning, place the brisket in a deep roasting pan and place in the oven at 180° C (350°F) uncovered for one hour.

{I started mine at 6:00am.}

  • 2 beef stock cubes
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup cola

Mix beef stock cubes with boiling water. Once dissolved, add cola.  Pour over brisket.  Cover the brisket with foil sealing it tightly.

 {I used two pieces of foil and tightly sealed the edges together and around the pan.  I needed enough room for the brisket to move as it cooked.  As the meat shrinks, it will change shape and you want the “internal oven” effect to stay in place.  If the steam escapes, you won’t get the same results} 

Reduce the temperature to 150°C (300°F) and cook until done; at least 4-5 hours.  You will want to check the meat often to ensure it does not dry out.  Add more water as needed.  It should be tender and juicy when done. 

{I cooked mine until 3:00 p.m. Regardless of how long you cook yours it will need at least 4-5 hours until it is cooked through.  I find the longer you cook, as long as the meat has not dried out, the more tender it is.  Keeping in mind that each cut of brisket is different in the amount of fat included.}

To serve, cut across the grain.

It’s that easy and the smell it creates, will have your mouth watering with anticipation all day long!

Enjoy,

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

1 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Rick said...

Can't wait to try! Thanx for recipe.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...