Star Spangled Banner

This Wednesday is the 4th of July.  It is especially important to me.  Even though we have no plans for the 4th this year (it is mid-week and we live in Australia); I am still decorating my home, having a cook-out and making the American holiday well known around my house. 

I am going to a lot of trouble for one particular reason:  Mini-me is an American/Australian.  Since we live in Australia, he experiences that side of his heritage on a daily basis.  It is the American traditions and holidays that I have to pay extra attention to.  If not, he will never know and appreciate the sacrifices of our American ancestors. After all, there are no 4th of July decorations or celebrations going on here.  Rightfully so, it is just another working day down under.

The_Star-Spangled_Banner_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_21566

To remind us all what makes Independence day so special, I thought I would share a copy of the Star Spangled Banner with you all.

I have a copy posted in my home.  All though Mini-me is too young to read, he will one day appreciate the meaning of the words behind the poem.

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I know I love and appreciate every word.   Thank you Francis Scott Key.  

I think my favorite line is “And this be our motto: “In God is our trust.”.

How beautifully he wrote what we Americans feel in our hearts.  They have a saying here in Australia that I think we can well use in the USA…

Lest we not forget!

I hope you all have a beautiful and heartfelt Independence day.  Don’t forget to read the words of our National Anthem before you go about your celebrations.  It will make the day even more memorable.

Happy 4th!

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

0 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...