How to Grow Green Onions

Do you cook with green onions?  I do.  I love them.  I use them to replace yellow onions, shallots, and chives in many recipes. 

If you are not sure what I mean when I say “green onions”; perhaps you know them by a different name.  Here is what Wikipedia has to say about green onions:

Scallions – also known as green onions, spring onions, salad onions, green shallots, onion sticks, long onions, baby onions, precious onions, yard onions, gibbons, or syboes – are the edible plants of various Allium species, all of which are "onion-like", having hollow green leaves and lacking a fully developed root bulb.

Fresh scallions tied into bundles

taken from Wikipedia

Green onions are my “go to” so often because I always have them on hand.

I don’t buy them often; they are always on hand because they are so easy to grow.   Here I will show you what I mean.

SL377892

This is what my green onions look like.  I bought these at the grocery store, brought them home and put them into a jar of water.

SL377901

I leave this jar on my kitchen window sill.  I keep them here instead of the fridge because they thrive.  I used to keep my green onions in the crisper at the bottom of the refrigerator, but after a few days they looked wilted. Sometimes they turned to mush.  They certainly were not happy there.

As you can see, they are very happy here.  In the sun, being watered, and readily available to be snipped as needed.

The best part?  Did you notice the little one at the front of the jar?

SL377901-001

Mr. AK was making one of his famous dishes and he cut the onion right off, almost to the roots.  He was about to throw it away when I grabbed it and threw it back into the jar.

Green Onions

As you can see, it grew back.  You can snip them anywhere above the roots and they grow back!

How great is that?!?

Now this takes frugal living to a whole new level.  For the price of one bunch of green onions, you get an endless supply!

The only catch (there’s always a catch)….

After cutting them a few times, they start to loose their potency.  They are still onions.  They still grow back.  They just loose a little of their taste strength. 

I personally don’t mind this.  Sometimes you want a little lighter flavor. 

What I do when I notice this is I plant my onions in a pot outside.

SL377905

You might notice that these are a little lighter in color than the ones in the jar.  They are still delicious and now they are thriving in a pot on my patio. 

Now you too can purchase a vegetable that will “pay for itself”.  Just put it in a jar instead of the fridge.

Go forth and multiply {Green Onions, that is}!

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

7 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Anonymous said...

Hello, just wanted to tell you, I loved this article. It was helpful.
Keep on posting!

my homepage ... Click To Read More

Anonymous said...

Very good post. I am facing many of these issues as well.
.

Also visit my blog post - labrador retriever golden

Anonymous said...

Very good post. I am facing many of these issues as well.

.

Also visit my website - labrador retriever golden

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?


Check out my blog post :: check my site

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though
you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly
know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when
you could be giving us something informative to read?



my web blog; Click For Source

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I have just been searching for information approximately this topic for
ages and yours is the greatest I have came upon so far.
However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain about the source?


My web page :: golden-retriever-guide.com

Anonymous said...

Excellent site you've got here.. It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours
these days. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!

!

Feel free to visit my page ... terrific blonde golden retriever content

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...