Tortilla Soup – My Favorite Recipe

Have I got a treat for you!

Tonight I made tortilla soup.  Yum!  It was divine.

To give you a little background of why this is my post tonight let me explain, it is cold here.

Okay, not exactly cold; but it is winter.  Winter on the Gold Coast means a chilly evening, perhaps 55°F. 

Earlier this week I couldn’t resist roasting a chicken.  It was great, but we had heaps left over.  When I began to think about what was for dinner I thought of the left over chicken calling me from the fridge and an email I received earlier this week wandering about how to make some yummy Mexican foods here in Australia. 

Two birds – one stone.  Know what I mean?

There are very few Mexican restaurants in Australia and even fewer good ones.  I might be biased; after all I am Texan, but seriously…I love my Tortilla Soup and no one in Australia makes it.

Now, there is no excuse.  Here is my recipe [minus the photos – dark kitchen does not make for appetizing photos].

Ingredients:

Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. jalapeno peppers, chopped
1/2 green pepper (capsicum)*
7 1/2 cups water
3 cubes of chicken stock*
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
2 cups frozen corn
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
2 TBL chopped cilantro*
2 cans crushed tomatoes
4 TBL tomato paste
2 cups cooked rice
1 avocado
1 flour tortilla
Cheddar cheese, shredded

In a large pot sauté the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and peppers in some oil (about 2 teaspoons of oil will do).  Once soft, add the water, stock, chicken, corn, spices, tomatoes, and paste.  Give a good stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.  You really want the flavors to blend.

Place about 1/4 cup rice in a bowl, add the soup.  Garnish with a slice of avocado, toasted tortilla strips and some shredded cheese.

*Capsicum (Australia) = green peppers (America)

* I use water + chicken stock cubes and just toss them into the pot.  If you prefer, use premade chicken broth.

*Coriander (Australia) = Cilantro (America).  I buy mine as herb plants in Coles Supermarket.

This is a very lovely, flavorful soup that will go a long way.  I have had many variations and finally came up with the one above to suit my tastes. Please tweak it as you wish for your particular taste buds.

Tonight, I was out of tortillas so I used Lebanese bread for the tortilla strips.  I have had Tortilla soup with or without corn.  I have had it with different spices, more/less chicken, crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes and I have cooked it with the rice added during the last 1/2 hour or no rice at all. (I find that cooking the rice separately prevents it from getting too soggy with the leftovers). 

This soup even freezes well, so you can make a huge batch and pull it out when needed.

You really can’t go wrong.  Add what you want in the amounts you like. 

Have fun and most of all;

Indulge in the flavors! 

Cheers,

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

1 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Anonymous said...

I just made this! It was delicious...My family loved it.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...