Sight Words for Pre-schoolers – A Lesson for Mini-me

Mini-me is three and a half.  For the past two years he has been “reading”.

SL375565-001

Taken November 2010

My definition of toddler reading is a bit loose.  If you notice in the photo, Mini-me opens a book (with the wording and pictures the right direction) and scans the page.  After a few moments, he will gently turn the next page and repeat the scanning until he reaches the end of the book. 

SL375568-001Sometimes I have even observed him moving his lips or saying things to himself as if he is internally reading. 

SL375562

Now I know this is not actual reading as we adults understand it; but in my opinion it is the very early stages of childhood reading.  This is where it all begins.  I adore that my child loves “reading” and I want to encourage this.

IMG_0620

Taken April 2011

Since he is now of pre-school age; I have decided to begin the basic “sight words” that my older children learned in kindergarten.  [My middle child was actually four in the beginning of kindergarten and had already memorized the words from when his brother, who is only one year ahead of him learned them.] 

For those of you who are not sure of what “sight words” are, let me explain.  These are the words that are not sounded out using the normal reading skills (aka. phonics).  They must be learnt by repetition and memorization. These sight words range from easy to difficult depending on the words.  This is the list of words I have chosen to start with. 

see

I

a

the

you

come

am

go

have

little

he

me

she

three

said

four

where

from

what

do

look

like

are

they

we

I have printed them out and created laminated, mini-flash cards that are secured by a metal ring.  Every so often (like when in the car) I flip through a few at a time.  The key is repetition.  Once he gets a few words, I add a few more.  I also NEVER force him.  If he doesn’t want to play, we put it away.

The reason I want to begin Mini-me on his sight words is simple.  He wants to read and when he can recognize certain words or letters he will feel successful and be encouraged to read and learn more.  I need to give him the tools to be able to accomplish his goals.

IMG_3585

Taken April 2012

Here is a link to your very own flash cards. Just print, laminate, cut them out and you’re good to go.

If you have problems with the link, let me know, I will gladly email the sight words to you.

Happy Learning!

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

0 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...