Homemade Bagels - An American Recipe

A few weeks ago, Mr. AK expressed to me that he really missed “American bagels”.  I was shocked.  How could I have gone all this time and not realized that there are no bagels here? 
I asked around and what I found was that a person can purchase bagels in Australia; but they are really difficult to find.  You have to find a bakery that makes them, and those are few and far between.  Easy enough; I’ll make my own.
SL377625
I tried a few recipes that I found online, but was not too impressed.  I decided to make up my own recipe (using what I had learned). Guess what?!?
As Mr. AK bit into the last bagel he said: “Don’t loose that recipe.  I’d like to have these again.”  {hehehe…he didn’t know it was my own recipe}
Here it is.
  • 2 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 TBL sugar
  • 1 1/4 c. warm water
  • 2 1/2 c. bread flour
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • cornmeal (in Australia I use dry Polenta)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sugar (in a large pot of boiling water)
Place yeast and sugar in a bowl with warm water.  DO NOT STIR.  Let it sit for five minutes.
Homemade Bagels
Mix both flours with salt in a large bowl.
IMG_4251
Stir the liquid yeast mixture until the yeast and sugar dissolves.
Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and blend well.
IMG_4253 Once you have a firm dough, turn it out on a floured surface. knead for 10 minutes working in a little more of the flour from the surface area.
Kneaded dough
Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat.
SL377571 Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm, draft free spot for one hour.
SL377603
The dough should have doubled in size like this one.
Punch the dough down.  Knead just enough to release the air.  Let it rest for 10 minutes.
SL377606
Divide into 8 equal pieces.  Form each piece into a ball by rolling it on a flat surface.  Pinch a hole into the center of the ball and stretch the center to form a bagel (as in picture below).  Place on a cookie sheet and cover with a damp towel and rest for 10 minutes in a warm, draft free place.
SL377613
Preheat the oven to 450°F (220°C). 
Add 1 1/2 tsp. sugar to a large pot of water and bring to a boil.
Boil  the rested bagels for 2 minutes, flip them over and boil for 2 more minutes.
SL377615Place the boiled bagels on an oiled cookie sheet, lightly sprinkled with cornmeal.
SL377621Bake for 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and hollow when tapped.
SL377622
I like to slice my bagels open, toast, then spread with butter and cream cheese.
SL377625
How do you eat your bagels?
Wow! I didn’t realize how much I missed this yummy breakfast treat!
Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

0 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...