Faux “Febreeze” – A Homemade Fabric Freshener

If you’re American you know what Febreeze is.  You probably have it safely in your cleaning supplies right now.  Perhaps you even used it today.

If you’re American and you’re living in Australia; YOU SUFFER WITHOUT YOUR FEBREEZE!

I live in a very tropical part of Australia.  On the beach.

 
It is damp and humid before it rains.


It is damp and humid while it rains.

It is even damp and humid after it rains.


When it is not damp, humid or raining; it is HOT!


Needless to say, with all of the weather, ocean, salt and mold going on in my house; I have been suffering without my Febreeze. It was the last straw when I fell to sleep the other night wandering what that dirty gym sock, moldy, thingy, smell was coming from; somewhere in my room.

When I awoke the next morning I decided it was either the carpet, curtains, bedding, pillows, walls, or ceiling.  -  Narrowed that right down; didn’t I?


Hah!


Something had to be done. 


I whipped up a batch of homemade Febreeze; Australian made….


by an American. Winking smile


Here is my version.

SL377577-001

  • 32 oz spray bottle
  • 1/8 cup of your favorite smelling fabric softener (the good smell)
  • 2 TBL baking soda (the odor [AKA: “bad smell”] eliminator)
  • Warm Water (the binding agent)

Add the fabric softener and baking soda to the bottle then fill the rest of the way with water.  Shake and spray as needed on fabrics (couch, car, jackets, carpets, curtains, etc.) Be sure to test first if you are concerned that it might stain.

Homemade Febreeze
There are many homemade Febreeze recipes out there.  If you don’t use mine; please remember; the suffering is over.  You can Google a different “homemade Febreeze”.


I just know mine is easy and the supplies are readily available in my home.  Not to mention, it is really cost effective and these days that means the world to us Moms.


But most important:


That moldy, thingy, smell, whatever it was? – it’s gone.

Now you too can go forth and
Febreeze your homes!

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]
Just as a footnote:  While I was typing this post, guilt set in…


All of my complaining and look what landed on my balcony.

SL377601-001
Yup, a family of them. There were four of them lecturing me about how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful place.  In love

2 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful birds. I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

Kim,
I don't know if you've already found this or products like them, but I've got to share my most recent find. Okay you know the antibacterial foam soaps that smell so good from Bath and Bodyworks back in the USA...well I really missed that small comfort last year. Try as I might I couldnt find anything that made me happy, so I soldiered on using boring soft soap. Anyway this Saturday I went to the chemist (Terry White) & I found the exact anti bacterial foam soap in yummy flavors (my favorites are grapefruit and mandarin. We bought several (I've got 3 bathrooms & 3 kids), plus the kitchen. Anyway, it's made by Palmolive & it's awesome. Smaller than the ones in the USA, but that doesn't bother me. I went back today & bought 10 more bottles, I'm a soap hoarder I guess.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...