Strawberries - A Cookie Recipe

I have a confession:  This year I have not made any Christmas cookies.  I know, gasp!

In my defense, I have made Christmas Jello Jigglers and Salt Dough Cookies.  {I figure the Salt Dough cookies are not edible and probably don’t count as real cookies. } So, when I saw Centsational Girl was having a Christmas Cookie party; I decided I better come up with something.

The recipe I grabbed from my “special recipes book” was one of my Great-Grandmother’s.  She had passed this recipe down to my mother many, many moons ago.  It has always been one of my favorites, but I beg you in advance: forgive my errors.  My mother always makes these (I have never had to, until now).

Strawberries with stem

Strawberries – The recipe I stole borrowed from my mother goes a little something like this….

For 5 minutes cook – 1/2 lb. oleo (I used 1 cup of margarine)

                                     1 cup sugar

                                     2 beaten eggs

                                     8 oz dates (chopped)

Add -      1 cup flour (a little at a time)

               Mix well.  Cook 5 to 7 minutes

Remove from stove and add 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup chopped nuts, 2  1/2 cup Rice Krispies.

Mix very well.

Mixed ingredients for Strawberries

Cool & shape into strawberries.

Strawberry shape

Roll in red coloring.

Red Sugar

Since there is no red sugar at any of the grocery stores I shop; I made my own.  I mixed a cup of sugar with a few drops of red food coloring. 

I rolled my “strawberries” in the red sugar, put some green marshmallows on for stems and refrigerated them.

Strawberries

The original recipe calls for the stems to be made of green icing, but in keeping with the “I’m not in a cookie baking mode this year”; I cheated with the marshmallow pieces.

Strawberries with stem

These aren’t as beautiful as my mother’s strawberries (hers look like real berries) but they do taste awesome! 

I think once I get the “strawberry” look just right, they would make a wonderful addition to a cake, or some other deserts I love to make.  I also had the thought of rolling the mixed dough into a log and cutting it into round cookies.  There are so many variations you could make with this.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Merry Christmas!

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

 

 

 

I have also linked to Plum Patchwork.

1 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Jessica @ Plum Patchwork said...

These are soooo cute! I've never seen anything like it'

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...