Homemade Apple Butter, in Australia

 

Apple Butter on toast

I had this basket of apples that were not being eaten and decided I wanted to try something new.  During Thanksgiving I had come across a thousand different “Apple Butter” recipes online and thought I would try making my own.   After all…there is no such thing as Apple Butter in Australia – well, until now – and I was feeling a bit homesick.

Apple Butter ingredients

These are the ingredients I had on hand, so I figured they would have to do. 

    • 5 apples; peeled, cored and chopped in large pieces
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    • 1/4 cup water

I popped them into a crockpot for 4 hours and left them.  When the apples were tender, I used a mix master to puree them (you could also use a food processor).  I put the apple butter in a jar and stored it in the refrigerator.

Apple Butter with apples

The aroma of it cooking is beautiful.  The taste is divine.   This recipe was so easy, I almost felt guilty….almost.

I’m thinking this would make the perfect hostess gift, or look great in a basket with some crackers, cheese and wine.

Cheers!

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

1 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kimberley,
Have been watching a lady called PeggyK(kitchen cures) and she sugguested Apple Butter. Being Australian I had never heard of it, but your recipe looks really easy so will give it a go. I havent heard of pumpkin pie spice but will try another spice for taste. Leanne

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...