Chocolate Meringues

When I read a recipe for hollandaise sauce that I just had to try [click here to see the recipe], I noted that it called for 4 egg yolks.  It struck me – I’ll make meringue for desert with the 4 egg whites! 

Yippee! Dinner and dessert with no waste!  “I love it when a plan comes together.” 

I found the recipe in my favorite cooking magazine “Delicious”.  And I must say; it is indeed a delicious recipe.  It is not just meringue.  It is Chocolate Meringue. 

To make chocolate meringues:

  • 4 room temperature egg whites
  • 1 1/2 c sugar
  • 1 TBL sifted cocoa
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.  Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.  Slowly add sugar, whisking and scraping sides of bowl until thick and glossy.  Fold in remaining ingredients until well combined.  Drop 6 rounds of mixture onto the tray (if adding cream and fruit; use a back of a spoon to make an indent in the top).  Place in the oven and turn the temperature to 120°C.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Turn the oven off and allow to cool in the oven.  Add cream, caramel sauce and or fruit as desired and serve.

Here is how I made the above recipe (complete with photos)…

The egg whites must be at room temperature and the oven should be pre heated to 150°C.

4 egg whitesI know it doesn’t look like much, but this is actually 4 egg whites.

You whisk these until soft peaks start to form. (you can add a pinch of salt if you like).

Beat egg whites

Once you notice that the peaks have begun to form; slowly add the sugar.  Continue to whisk until  thick and glossy.

Glossy meringue I like to scrape down the sides while I’m whisking.

Now fold in cocoa, white vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.

Add other ingredients Combine well.  Then drop 6 spoonfuls onto a lined baking tray.

6 spoon fulls As you can see, this recipe made 6 VERY LARGE meringues.

Place the tray in the pre heated oven and immediately turn the oven down to 120°C.  Bake for 45 minutes.

Bake Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven until completely cool.

The recipe in the magazine serves these with whipped cream, raspberries and homemade caramel sauce.  I couldn’t wait and I tasted one straight out of the oven. perfect

It tasted a whole lot like Cocoa Pops!  It was sooooooo yummy!  I didn’t want to spoil the flavor with extras.

I skipped adding the toppings and took them to my neighborhood barbeque just like this:

;;;0000000/.

Don’t tell anyone; but there was a bit of a scuffle over the last one.  They were a hit!

Tell me what you think…you must have all of the ingredients in the pantry.

0 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...