The Best Hollandaise Sauce Recipe Ever!

I don’t really do a lot of cooking as  I am blessed…Mr. AK is a fantastic cook!  That being said; every now and then I come across a really good recipe that I must give a whirl like this Artichoke Dip I shared here. 

The other day while browsing through a cooking magazine (yes; I love cooking magazines – but don’t like to cook), I came across a recipe by Maggie Beer that had a Verjuice Hollandaise Sauce.  It looked like another one of those really good recipes. 

Grilled Asparagus with Verjuice Hollandaise Photo take from Delicious Magazine November 2011

I had all of the ingredients except verjuice.  I had no idea what verjuice was, so I did what any self respecting, budding chef would do when confronted with an unknown ingredient…I googled it!

This is what I found:

ver·juice/ˈvərˌjo͞os/

Noun:

A sour juice obtained from crab apples, unripe grapes, or other fruit, used in cooking and formerly in medicine.

That just wasn’t enough information for me.  I googled some more and  found that Maggie Beer was the first to produce verjuice commercially.  That might explain why she used it in this recipe. Huh?

mod_imageSource So, I marched on down to the local grocery store and bought a bottle.  It was a little more expensive than your ordinary vinegar that you would usually use in a hollandaise sauce; but BOY was it worth it!

Here is the Verjuice Hollandaise recipe I made:

  • 1 1/2 cups verjuice
  • 1 fresh bay leaf
  • 6 whole peppercorns
  • 250 g unsalted butter
  • 4 egg yolks (save the egg whites for a great meringue recipe I will share later)

Combine verjuice, bay leaf and peppercorns in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil and then simmer over high heat for 10 minutes (should reduce to 2-3 TBL).  Strain the juice and keep it warm.

While boiling the juice, slowly melt the butter over low heat. Skim off the white solids on top.  Pour clarified butter into another pan, leaving the white sediment at the bottom behind.

Place egg yolks and verjuice mixture into a blender (or food processor) and pulse.  Slowly add butter while continuing to process until thick.  Season with salt and pepper.

Some of my techniques differed from Maggie Beer’s recipe in the Delicious Magazine, but I must say; it turned out to be the BEST Hollandaise Sauce I have ever had! 

Delicious Magazine November 2011Just in case you want your own magazine.  This is what it looks like.

There was quite a bit of sauce left over so I poured it into a jar and refrigerated it.   The next day I reheated a small bit (the cold texture was that of butter) in the microwave for less than 15 seconds.  I stirred the heated sauce and it was like I had just made it fresh.

With this recipe I made enough sauce to serve with asparagus, steamed broccoli and flavoring for chicken quesadillas [not all at the same meal, of course].

Give it a try.  You won’t be disappointed. It is such a great flavor.

 Don’t forget to visit next week to see how I have used those left over egg whites.  You know…”Waste not want not”.

Have a great weekend!

Kimberly Signature

0 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...