Cornbread Recipe - Australian and American Versions

How do you make cornbread in Australia?  This is a question that I have been pondering since I moved here.  Being from Texas, cornbread is almost a staple and while I have never gone out of my way looking for it; I find myself craving cornbread now that I can’t have it.

Serve with butter

When I asked an American friend if she knew where to purchase cornmeal here; she replied that it is not available in Australia so she has her family send it to her from the States.  Hmmmm…I thought.  There must be a better way.

Polenta 

After a little research; I discovered POLENTA.  Ground polenta is corn grits used in Italian cuisine.  I decided to substitute corn meal with polenta and give my corn bread recipe a try.  It was delicious and here is how I made it!

Ingredients:

Australia: America:
1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup caster sugar (or less) 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs 2 eggs
1 cup milk minus a tablespoon 1 cup milk minus a tablespoon
1 TBL lemon juice 1 TBL lemon juice
1/2 tsp bi-carbonate soda 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup polenta 1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour 1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp salt

Preheat your oven to 175°C  (375°F).  Grease an 8” baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. 

Butter

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  If you prefer to use a cast iron skillet, you  could also bake the bread in it instead of a pan.

Buttermilk While the butter is melting; add lemon juice to milk and let sit for 5 minutes. 

{This is the substitute I use for buttermilk – you can click here for a free printable substitution chart.}

Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sugar.

Add eggs

Then add the eggs immediately and stir until well blended.

Add the bi-carbonate soda/baking soda to the buttermilk and stir.

Add milk

In the skillet add the buttermilk mixture to the melted butter.

Stir in polenta/cornmeal, flour, and salt.  Mix until smooth.

Add to pan

Pour into the greased pan or leave in the oven proof skillet and bake for 30 minutes.Cornbread

You will know it is done when a toothpick comes out clean.

I can’t wait to serve cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving!

Enjoy,

Kimberly Signature

7 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Meg and Mum's said...

Yum! I'll have to give this one a go.
I got on to your blog after reading a comment you made on a old kitchen step stool at Restyled Vintage. Did you finish your stool? If so, I'd love to have a look at it!
Megs :)

Anonymous said...

recipe calls for cup of salt????? typo?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did make a typo. Sorry. It has now been fixed and I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do!
Cheers,
Kimberly
November 23, 2011

Rachel said...

Kimberly,

Thank you for posting this cornbread recipe! I knew I'd be able to make it here, just finally got around to do some investigation. I'm an American & have been in Australia a little over a year. Enjoyed your blog!xx

J Mo said...

Thank you for that. I too moved to Australia from Texas.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. I'm an American who has lived in Australia for about two months. When the weather started to turn cold I wanted some chili and cornbread more than anything ... maybe the last five years I spent in Alabama have something to do with it. There is nothing worse than having a craving for something you just cant make. I can't wait to try this recipe. Now, I'd love to find a way to make proper Mexican food here, which is my next challange! Cheers, Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi
Made exactly as per recipe and was great out of oven. However it dried and hardened quite a bit as it went cold is that right?
Cheers

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...