Plum Cobbler - An American Recipe

TGIF!  What a week!  The floods in Queensland have affected the entire area and consumed our daily lives.  There has been so much devastation and loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with everyone touched by this natural disaster.    It is amazing how quickly a nation can come together under such circumstances.  What amazing people they are!
To take my mind off of the rains and floods, I busied myself in the kitchen.  Cobbler has always been one of those “comfort foods” for me.  In Texas, Peach Cobbler is a staple in just about every restaurant you visit.  I always found it warm and delicious on a rainy day.  Here in Australia where summer produces a large variety of mouth watering fruits, I have been testing a lot of different cobblers on Mr. AK.
Plum Cobbler
In times when money is tight, we find ourselves buying more fruits and veggies in bulk.  The savings are undeniable, however the fruit sometimes ripens before you have a chance to devour it.  In comes the Cobbler.  It is perfect for using your ripened fruit before it goes off completely, and it is a somewhat healthier treat than cakes or cookies.  This week I found myself with apples and plums quickly beginning to deteriorate.

Apples
I used 5 apples (these were Granny Smith) and about 9 plums.  I peeled and cored the apples then sliced them.  I placed them into a pot with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, ½ cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. 
Sauce
While I brought the apples to a boil; I stoned and quartered the plums.  After the apples had cooked for 5 minutes, I added the plums.  I continued to let them cook for a further 5 minutes while I prepared the crust.
Crust IngredientsWith a mixer (lazy me Winking) I cut a ¼ cup of butter into ½ cup of self-rising flour and 1 tsp of cinnamon until small pieces formed (You can use a food processor if you prefer).  I  then added ¼ cup of sugar, an egg and 4 tablespoons of milk and continued to mix until a batter was formed.
Plum sauce
When the plum sauce was finished cooking, I poured it into a buttered 1.5 liter, ovenproof dish.  Doesn’t it look sooooo yummy already?  Not finished – yet.
Add Crust
I placed the batter on top of the plum sauce by large spoonfuls and sprinkled with walnut halves.  I then baked the cobbler in a 350°F (160°C fan forced) oven for 25 minutes.
Plum Cobbler
It was delicious.  Nothing beats good ole’ southern, comfort food when it is raining!
Don’t forget the ice cream!
I still can’t decide which cobbler is my favorite.  I love them all!  What is your favorite?

1 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

bev said...

Peach is good too, but you can't beat a good hot apple cobbler. Of course you have to remember lots of ice cream on top to cool it off (ha, ha).

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...