Australia Day – January 26

Australia Day is January 26.  I love this celebration.  To me it is reminiscent of Fourth of July in America (which I also celebrate with my family and friends here in Australia).
220px-Lotto_Skyworks_Applecross Perth’s Fireworks Celebration
This day marks the landing of the first convict ship in 1788 and the raising of the Union Jack in Sydney Cove by the commander of that ship (Captain Arthur Phillip).  While January 26 is the date of the first ship’s landing; Australia Day itself is something more.  It is a current celebration of ALL things Australian. 
300px-The_Founding_of_Australia First Fleet’s Landing
From my experiences it is a day for Australians to celebrate the country’s achievements and to reflect on the history of what makes Australia such a great place to live.  Most Australians look forward to the future while remembering the past on this day. 
untitled
Our summer celebrations of Australia Day include bar-b-ques and trips to the beach.  I am looking forward to seeing the fireworks and relaxing with family and friends as we celebrate this great nation (my 2nd home) called Australia!
*Photos courtesy of Wikipedia.com and Google

0 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...