Rice Krispie Snack or Rice Bubble Snack

rice_krispie_turkey

This weekend while taking mini-me to the beach, I ran into some mothers.  Their kiddos were woofing up some yummy treats and begging for seconds.  I asked what the treats were.  You see, kids snack on different things in different countries and I figure, “When in Rome….”.  The moms looked at me funny and said “Chocolate Crackles”.  What the heck are Chocolate Crackles?!?

Chocolate Crackles with 100's and 1000's

When I looked confused, they kindly rambled off the recipe.  It was very familiar in a different sort of way.  Let me explain….

In America, we serve our kids Rice Krispie Treats made with the cereal; Rice Krispies or rice puff cereal.

In Australia, we serve our kids Chocolate Crackles made with the cereal; Rice Bubbles or rice puff cereal.

I want to share the recipes with you today.  I figure that all of my American friends can enjoy whipping of Chocolate Crackles while my Australian friends wow their kids with Rice Krispie Treats.  I’m always thinkin’ of you guys!

Chocolate Crackles*:

  • 4 cups of Rice Bubbles (this is the same exact thing as Rice Krispies).
  • 1 cup of sifted icing sugar (this is powdered sugar)
  • 3 tablespoons of cocoa
  • 1 cup of desiccated coconut (as far as I can figure, the small coconut shreds)
  • 1 cup of copha (copha is the same as crisco)

Melt the crisco/copha and pour on top of mixed dry ingredients.  Mix well and spoon into cupcake cases.  Chill until set.  Makes 24.

Chocolate Crackles

* I found the recipe here on the Australian Kellog’s website.

Rice Krispie Treats

Rice Krispie Treats**:

  • 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal (same thing as Rice Bubbles)
  • 40 large marshmallows (4 cups of mini marshmallows – fresh is best)
  • 3 TBL butter or margarine

Melt the marshmallows and butter in the microwave for 3 minutes (stir after 1 minute).  Stir until smooth.  Add cereal and mix well.  Pat into 13x9” cake pan or any molded pan you desire.  Pat tightly and allow to set.  Cut into squares.  You can use cookie cutters to cut into shapes as well and decorate with icing.

Rice Stars

**To find the recipes and holiday ideas, Kellog’s has a brilliant website.  I highly recommend you visit here.  I love the Pilgrim Hats they have for Thanksgiving!

rice krispie tieredNow that I have finished sharing and comparing these two childhood sweets; let me disclose that I am not in cahoots with Kellog’s, or any other company.  I am simply researching and sharing the information I have found so that other mothers can enjoy the same knowledge I now have and put a smile upon their child’s lovely face.

I also would like to mention that in my pursuit of knowledge I found the websites very fun and informative.  Kellog’s is sooooo creative and Snap, Crackle, and Pop are adorable (the little elf mascots).  I also googled “images of ….” and found these great photos with a thousand others.  How cool some of the Holiday ideas are!  Please google images of these treats, you will love what you find.  It certainly got my creative juices flowing!

Cheers and enjoy!

Kimberly

1 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

bev said...

In America it is not only the kids that love Rice Krispy treats!!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...