Melbourne Cup 2010 and a Pre-Holiday Gift to You

Keeping up with the theme of my blog; “AmericKim living in Australia”; I must tell you about the Melbourne Cup 2010!

Melbourne Cup 2010-29

It was fantastic!  They call it “The Race That Stops A Nation!”

Melbourne Cup 2010-1

Mr. AK and I visited a local venue hosting a huge Melbourne Cup Day Celebration.  As you can tell from the photo above; the fashion is lovely, nothing was spared on the decorations and the atmosphere is contagious.

As you would probably guess, being AmericKim, I placed my support behind the beautiful Americain. 

Melbourne Cup 2010-32

Isn’t he gorgeous?  Yup, he is now the Melbourne Cup 2010 winner!

But what did I wear?  Melbourne Cup is more about fashion than horses.  Being a DIY Budget gal, I had to make some aspects of my fashion.  Since time was not in abundance this year; I grabbed an evening dress out of my closet that I had stashed away for a special occasion.

It needed hemmed which fit beautifully in my DIY plans.

Melbourne Cup 2010-92

I cut about 1 1/2 inches off the bottom of the dress and used the leftover fabric to embellish some shoes, a bag, and a purchased fascinator.  I simply didn’t have the time to create anything from scratch, but I wanted it all to tie together and be AmericKim made.

Melbourne Cup 2010-55

For the shoes I took a 2 inch length of the leftover hem, hand sewed the ends together, basted the middle and created a small bow.  My shoes had bows in the middle of them so I attached the “small” bow to the top of the shoe’s “larger” bow using a bead to hide the stitches.

Then I folded strips of the sequined hem (the dress has a sequined slip under the lace top and both needed hemmed).  I attached these strips under the bows of the fascinator and attached the beads to the ribbon on top.

Melbourne Cup 2010-61

Purty, huh?

Melbourne Cup 2010-71 

Small addition to the bag…This “flower” was added by taking a square of matching fabric I had previously bought, stitching the edges together and pulling the stitches into a circle. I attached the bead to the middle to hide the stitches and tacked it to the bag.  Too easy!

I love this dress.  The straps were the inspiration for the beads I chose.

Melbourne Cup 2010-79

Melbourne Cup 2010-77

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Did I mention that I’m a shy gal?  No photo of me.  Sorry.  Plenty of photos of the outfit.Melbourne Cup 2010-89

Now that the Spring activities are slowing down and the holidays are right around the corner; I have a surprise for you.

If you’re like me; you are beginning to de-clutter your home and spruce it up for the holidays. To help get your home in tip top shape you can order quality, name brand bedding from Bedding Style.com and receive a discount when you use my code. (A little pre-holiday gift from me to you).

BeddingIf you click here, you will receive a 10% discount on your checkout order from Bedding Style.com by using the Code BED10.

How beautiful is that?!?  Your bed could look just like this one!  I love it!

What do you do to prepare your home for Holiday guests?

2 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Bev said...

Boy, do I wish I was there! You are so clever.

Kathryn said...

Manolo Blahnik & Jimmy Choo Watch out......You have competition!!
Loved the Shoes !!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...