DIY Baby’s Room Lamp Update Lesson Learned

I had this lamp in my son’s nursery.  While it was okay when he was a newborn; it needed an uplift now that he’s a toddler and we’re starting to set his “big boy theme”.

August 21, 2010 029

Oh, did I mention that I found it at a thrift store for $3.00?

August 7, 2010 102

This is the shade it came with.  I knew what I would do with the shade.  The fabric I had chosen to upholster a stool in his room was to be incorporated onto the shade.  The picture in my head was perfect, but first I needed to paint the lamp base. The blue would clash with the fabric on the new shade.

We all know the first step to any good paint job is to lightly sand the object.

August 21, 2010 031

Check.

Next I cleaned it with vinegar to ensure it was ready for primer.  I then taped off the parts I did not want painted and I primed the little fellow.

  August 25, 2010 004 

Too easy!  I’m on a roll here!

I chose to paint it with white gloss spray paint.

 August 28, 2010 017

I know the photo isn’t great; but you can see all looks good until….

You turn the little fellow around.

August 28, 2010 020

  Eeeeeek! 

I tried sanding, and painting twice (you’ll notice the first picture in this post is my second attempt).  Same result in the same spots each time!  The universe, the lamp, and the cans of paint have conspired against me!  On to Plan “B”….

What can’t be painted, can be hot glued!  Ha!

I started right under the socket and began wrapping the twine around the lamp.  I only put hot glue in a few spots.  I found the twine was happy to stay put with just little encouragement and our poor little lamp had already been through enough torture.

August 28, 2010 030 

When I was finished, I was pleasantly surprised.  Lesson learned:  when the universe tells you something; LISTEN!

Here is the finished lamp.

SL374440

Later this week I will have the tutorial on how I made the shade and hopefully a better picture.  My little guy was asleep when I snapped this shot and I didn’t want to push my luck.

As I was walking through the shopping center I noticed two of these in the Pillow Talk shop window! 

214

“They copied me!” I told my hubby in delight!  Okay, perhaps they didn’t copy me, but it sure was a pleasant surprise to know I came up with such a clever idea (and at a much lower price)!

2 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Shanarun said...

Fabulous transformation on the lamp!! I agree, THEY copied YOU!

Ellen said...

Great makeover...I had the same lamp in my son's room (he is now 16)...I think it was Laura Ashley fabric on the shade. We had sheets and a blanket to go with...sniff sniff!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...