Sensory Integration Dysfunction

This topic has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with my blog.  I know….

Be patient and I will explain what brought the topic to my mind and prompted the need to write about it.

I have for some time toyed with the idea of starting a blog about this “special need”.  You see; I have personally dealt with the disorder known as Sensory Integration Dysfunction (SID).Summer in Australia 082

While the dozens of doctors I visited could not diagnose my child, the nurses overlooked what was wrong, and he was being needlessly medicated and misunderstood; I accidently discovered what was wrong with him. This all happened over 7 years ago.

As I set out to discover what this condition was all about I had the feeling that I was the only one who could help my precious one (after all, no one else even recognized this was the problem until I stumbled across it).Summer in Australia 003

Now, seven years later I found myself sitting in my hairdresser’s chair getting my “do” when a mother and very rambunctious 4 year old boy came in.  The boy was having his hair cut today.   What unfolded brought back memories of my similar dilemmas.

It quickly occurred to me that no one else recognized what was happening with this child.  He looked to be spoilt.  I even heard someone call him spoilt.

To me, he looked very different.  He seemed to be a very well behaved, misunderstood, but happy child.  I wanted to hug him!  He was adorable.

pub_book_OUTeThis is a great book to learn more about this disorder. 

He climbed all over the waiting room seat, making tons of noise.  He then, with many requests from his mother and the hairdresser, climbed into the chair to have his hair cut.  While there, he could barely contain himself.  As the clippers were shaving his head, he bent his head as far down as he could pressing his ear to his shoulder.  Then he told the hair dresser she was “tickling” him with the razor and when it went around his ear; he got very rigid and begged her to be careful.  “Don’t cut my ear.” he repeated several times.

This child reminded me so much of that little boy I knew nine years ago; before he was diagnosed – my son.

51Bgg9l-i-L__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_Perfect book for learning how to deal with a child with this disorder. 

I noticed his mother stroke his cheek; did that help or did it set off his senses even more?  When the clippers were turned on, they were immediately put to his scalp.  Would it have helped if he were allowed to touch the vibrating instrument first? Or could scissors have been used a little more easily?  When the razor was near his ear or he was complaining of “tickling” could the hairdresser have “pressed” on top of his head to calm him?  These are all things that help children with SID, but if you are not aware of the condition; how can you be aware of how to help?Summer in Australia 157 Not many people know of Sensory Integration Dysfunction, yet it is all around us.  Everyone has heard of ADHD.  I believe more children suffer from SID than ADHD.  I have seen and experienced in my own life how children with SID are misdiagnosed and medicated, generally doing more harm than good.

My hope is that people who deal with children learn a little about SID. 

Share the existence of this with everyone you meet.  Little changes in our awareness can make huge changes in the lives of our children.  Teachers, hairdressers, shoe salesmen, clothing store operators, coaches, daycare workers, church pastors are all people who should know about this condition.

Summer in Australia 223

It could and would make a difference in a child’s life.

Summer in Australia 080

I hope you didn’t mind my “soap box” tonight.  I just really needed to try and get awareness out there for children everywhere.

Perhaps we can make a difference in the life of a child….

Kimberly_Signature.png[2]

1 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Hi Kim. Thanks for finding my blog. I am glad I found yours in return...
I feel like I have so much in common with you. I am a South African living in America, obsessed with decorating, and my 10 year old daughter has been diagnosed with SID, and then the Peadiatrician said she was ADD and she was put on medication.I homeschool her because she cannot pay attention in a classroom full of kids.
I am now not sure about any of her diagnoses, and wonder if she is getting the right treatment...
Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...