Tool Chime

One week from today is Fathers’ Day in Australia.  Yup, it is on September 5th.

While thinking of what our “little bloke” could get his father for this very special occasion; I came up with the perfect DIY project.

securedownload[1]

My niece, Stormi, who has a brilliant sense of humor, gorgeous smile, and fantastic imagination, came up with this little beauty all on her own when she was 10 years old. 

She made it as a gift for her grandfather who happens to be a hobby mechanic. When I saw what she had made; I was in awe of her.  My Aunty pride was beaming!  Since I began this blog a few weeks ago, I have been itching to sing her praises!

Stormi lives in America so I skyped her a few days ago and explained what I was hoping to do.  She kindly walked me through the procedure so I could explain it to you.

I gathered all of the supplies that she listed:

August 28, 2010 060

She explained that you can use a round sanding block, or just pre-cut circular sanding paper; but I made my own instead (I already had the supplies on hand).

August 28, 2010 054Don’t you get such a thrill out of power tools? [ I love, love, heart, kiss, love my jigsaw!  I had to share a picture of her.  She’s a beauty! ]

Ok, back to work…..

To make the top of the Wind Chime I needed something strong to hold such heavy tools.  Since I had left over mdf and a beautiful jigsaw, I cut my own.  I used the cocoa can as my template.  It is just the right size for 6 chimes.

August 28, 2010 053

I traced around the can onto the mdf and then used the jigsaw to cut around the circle.

Then I used the circle mdf to trace on the sand paper and I cut out two sandpaper circles.

  August 28, 2010 058

I hot glued the sand paper circles to both sides of my mdf.

August 28, 2010 062

I hot glued natural twine around the outside of the mdf circle.

August 28, 2010 064

You want to mark the mdf evenly in a circle depending on how many tools you will hang.  I have 6 marks.

August 28, 2010 066More power tools. OOh Haaaa….

Then with a 5mm drill bit (and a piece of scrap wood underneath) I drilled the holes all the way through the circle.

August 28, 2010 068Thank Goodness I thought to put the scrap piece underneath.

Now drill a hole in the center.

August 28, 2010 071

Tie the twine around the tools, [ I used approximately 24 inches of twine]. Once tied securely [Girl Scouts taught me some really nice knots] I used a bit of hot glue on the GS knots so they wouldn’t come undone. Then I cut off the end to tidy up the knot.

August 28, 2010 070

I pulled the long end of the twine through the holes on the circle mdf with the wrenches placed weight and size appropriately [the largest wrench has the smallest one next to it].  I wanted to keep the weight distributed evenly so it will hang nicely; however, you might want to have the wrenches hang in graduated form around the circle.

August 28, 2010 072 

Now that my wrenches are pulled through the holes and placed at the lengths I want them; I tie a knot with the twin on the topside of the circle [again, thank you Girl Scouts].

I then took two strings of the twine from the top knot and pulled them down through the center hole.  I tied them into a knot so the mdf circle would not slide down and sit on top of the wrenches.

I braided the remaining twine pieces and folded the braid in half to form a hanging loop.  I tied the end of the braid to the bottom of the braid. 

August 28, 2010 074

Perfect!

August 28, 2010 076Sorry the wrenches blend into my tree.

Okay, maybe not “perfect” but pretty darn close. 

I think this is a great Fathers’ Day gift project for any child. 

Did I mention: I am so proud of Stormi!  She is so imaginative.

Gotta luv that girl!

I was thinking: you could even use a pot and kitchen tools, or a whole slew of other items to do a similar wind chime.  The sky’s the limit!

What have you got planned for Father’s Day?

 

** Note that I label this as a Child friendly craft because, like Stormi, you can use pre-drilled sanding blocks and omit the use of power tools.

I linked this post to the party at:

0 Comments - Click Here! Love to Hear from You.:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Please leave me a message and I will strive to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...